Pages

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Brown Butter Peach Crumble Bars

 Farmer's markets, fresh flowers, peaches and brown butter shortbread bars. Just some of my favorite things from this summer.
I have been so busy this summer that I have not been able to blog as much as I have wanted. However, the baking is still happening. While the toddler is sleeping I am trying to get photos off of the camera and into the blog-o-sphere. 
These are an easy crumble bar, but browning the butter ahead of time gives them a nutty flavor that is just lovely. The fresh peaches add sweetness and it all just screams summer fun. I hope you agree!


Peach Brown Butter Bars (say that three times fast)
From Smitten Kitchen

Browning the butter adds a nice nutty flavor to these shortbread bars. I cut mine into about 2x2 pieces.

1 cup sugar
I teaspoon baking powder
2 and 3/4 cups plus two tablespoons all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
1 large egg
2 large peaches, pitted and thinly sliced (about 1/4 inch thick)

To brown your butter, melt it in a small saucepan over medium low heat. It will foam up and then turn a golden color and finely a golden brown hue. Keep stirring it frequently. Once it is browned set it in the freezer for about 30 min until solid.

Preheat your oven to 375 F. Butter a 9 x13 inch pan.  Mix together sugar, baking power, flour, salt and spices until blended well. Using a pastry cutter, a large fork, or your hands, blend the solidified butter and egg into the flour mixture. Mix until you see pea size crumbles. Pat down about 3/4 of the crumbs on the bottom of your pan. Spread peaches over the crumb base in a single layer. Then scatter the remaining crumbs evenly over the peaches and bake for about 30 minutes, until the top is slightly brown and you can see golden brown edges. Cool completely in the pan and then cut into squares.






5 comments:

  1. These look wonderful. I have a huge bag of peaches that I picked this weekend and my brain is spinning trying to figure out what to do with them all. I love these bars, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm out of peaches, but this recipe is enough to get me to the farmer's market to buy more! It looks absolutely delicious. I adore shortbread. Many thanks for passing along the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look like what I'm gonna be making this weekend! I've never had a peach bar and yours look sooooooo darrrrn goooood! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These bars are gorgeous and summery - may I have a pan please :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru
    Latest: 5 PB Source Giant Candy Cookie

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM! I have been looking for more and more recipes to use peaches in, as I live in Georgia and peaches are cheap and plentiful. I will definitely be giving this one a try :)

    ReplyDelete