Pages

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Chocolate Ginger Flatbread Crackers

I was in the mood this past weekend for something creative, easy, tasty and quick to make. When you are in a pinch to bring a dessert to a potluck or just want to have something sweet when an unexpected guest is in town. This is a go to idea. Flatbread crackers covered in chocolate with any form of nut and fruit combo you like. I got this idea from Sprouted Kitchen. At first I was a bit nervous about pairing the sweet and spicy ginger with the toasted sesame seeds and chocolate...but Man Oh Man, these bad boys are delish. I also ended up making a cranberry almond combination to use up some leftover almond slices. I am now seriously thinking about doing some sort of salt and pepper chocolate combination. I think that eating too many of these makes the brain a bit bonkers. 

Let's get chopping. Dried sweetened ginger chopped up to whatever size you like. Warning, I ate way too many of these little spicy, sweet nuggets and got a stomach ache. 

Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave. We don't have a microwave so stove top is the way for me. Spread the melted chocolate over the crackers and then sprinkle with toppings.

Let the chocolate set and then store in an airtight container. The combination of salt, sweet, spicy and nutty all in one bite. Let you imagination go wild!



Dark Chocolate Covered Crackers
From Sprouted Kitchen

You can make any combination of toppings. I also made some with cranberries and sliced almonds. Another pairing that sounds heavnly would be dried cherries or dried aprocots and pistachios.

Ingredients
6 ounces of Dark Chocolate. I used Theo's 70%
16 Flatbread Crackers like Ak Mak or Finn Crisp
1/4 cup crystallized ginger, minced
3 tablespoons sesame seeds
Flaked Sea Salt to taste

Break up your chocolate bar and melt it in a double boiler. Stir until the chcolate is melted about 5 minutes. Lay your crackers on a cooling rack with parchment underneath to catch the drips. Coat the top of each cracker with a layer of the melted chocoate. I used an offset spatula to even the chocolate out. Sprinkle the chopped ginger and sesame seeds on top of the crackers. Add as little or as much as you want. Finish the crackers off with a sprinkle of flaky sea salt. You can put them in the fridge to set but remember to remove and put in an airtight container once the chocolate is set otherwise your crackers can get a bit soft. Enjoy!


3 comments:

  1. What a creative looking cookie!!! Totally what I'm in the mood for on Friday!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Easy to make and not too bad for you. That is if you only eat one. Alas, I can't do that!!

      Delete
  2. What a good idea! Sometimes (most of the time) I'm craving chocolate in cookie form, but I'm too lazy to actually make chocolate cookies. This looks like a much simpler way to get my fix.

    ReplyDelete