Pages

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Apple Brownies

Fall. I am a coming at ya. Here I am, Full of kids birthdays, fall leaves, and football. Need I say more? Love. All things apple and cinnamon make me sing.  Fall, I love you mucho... gracias. 
Now, about them apples... Put them in a brownie or  blondie form. Do it! Love it...sing it out! 
Apples, walnuts, butter and sugar. Serious business. Get it going. 
Peels. 
Mixed.
Ready to bake. 
Lovely and golden brown. Just like home. Apple fall brownie bars. Delish.

Apple Brownies
From Martha Stewart Magazine

Makes about 12 big apple bars.  You can cut them into smaller pieces as needed. I used an apple that ended up making the final bar a bit wet. So, make sure you are using a firm apple. All in all the flavors are awesome and people really loved this one. Smells like fall in a bar. Go figure.

1 stick salted butter, melted and cooled. Plus a bit more for the baking dish  (I used unsalted butter and it seemed to be just fine.)

1 cup all purpose flour

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon baking soda

1 cup sugar

1 large egg

1/2 cups chopped walnuts

2 large firm sweet apples. Peeled, cored and cut into 1/2 inch chunks. About 2 and 1/2 cups

Preheat oven to 350. Butter up a baking pan. 8 x 11 inch.

Whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl. In another bowl beat together butter, sugar, and an egg.  Add walnuts and apples, and stir until combined. Add the flour mixture, and stir until blended.

Spread the batter into the prepared pan and bake until golden brown and firm to touch. Let cool, on a wire rack for about 30 minutes and then cut into bars. Bars can be stored in an airtight container for about 5 days.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I have these in the oven now, but don't know how long to cook. Please advise when you can. Thanks - Sallie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh nooooo! Sorry I did not get back to you. I think that the the baking time can vary. About 40 minutes. I will edit the post and I am so sorry that I missed your comment. Life has been crazy and my blog has been the lonely lady of our family. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete