Pages

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Spinach salad with garlic yogurt dressing... it is zesty

Lately the oven has been off... I have been cranky... and... the idea of turning on the oven and making the house hot as hell does not knock my socks off. However, this salad is something I made the other night for dinner and wow!!! It will not only knock your socks off it might just knock you right down to the  floor. Granted, my dressing had a powerful punch, but I think I added too much garlic. It is a good thing I am not single.
A while back I bought this cookbook after hearing the author in the radio. I know what you are thinking... yes... I listen to talk radio...
The salads and side dishes in the book are wonderful. Think mix and match dressings and one plate meals. The ideas are endless. Since I had an abundance of dill from last weekend I thought I would use some in this simple salad and in the (knock you on your ass) lemon garlic dressing. 

Spinach Salad with Lemon Garlic Dressing
Adapted from Joyce Goldstein:

You can add what ever tickles your fancy to this whopper of a salad. Make sure you dress the salad just before serving so it stays nice a crisp.

Serves 6 to 8

2 small English Cucumbers seeded and cut into 1/2 inch dice
1 bunch of radishes sliced thin 
1 large bunch of baby spinach chopped
3 to 4 green onions ( I did not have any on hand)
1/8 cup of fresh dill
salt and pepper to taste

The recipe states to sprinkle the cucumbers and radishes with sea salt after they are chopped to allow them to release some water as to not make the salad soggy. I skipped this step and the salad seemed fine. However,  after you slice them you can sprinkle sea salt over them and let them sit for about 5 min. Rinse and dry before adding to the salad. 

Combine all the ingredient and toss with the dressing to your liking. Be careful the dressing has power!!!

Adapted from Joyce Goldstein

1 1/2 cup thick yogurt ( I used Greek yogurt)
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/8 cup fresh lemon juice
salt 
1 to 2 teaspoons minced garlic ( optional) looking back I would add very little next time
2 tablespoon fresh mint or dill ( I added both)

Whisk all the ingredients together in a bowl. Season with salt and the fresh herbs to your taste. Enjoy with someone who will not mind your garlic breath.
 
Time to get dirty!!!!

3 comments:

  1. This salad looks so bright and refreshing. I have been searching for a yogurt dressing recipe - thank you! I'm totally with you about not turning on the oven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole,
    I love reading your posts... they are very telling of your personality and think in real life... we would be friends. what i'm trying to say is you sound a lot like me ;)I made a caesar salad with too much garlic and i loved it but everyone else thought it was too intense... spinach-garlic-lemon-dill add some havarti or feta and you got a pizza!- have a great weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just happened upon your blog. Love this great recipe.

    ReplyDelete